I don't even know where to begin with this one. It was a super last minute trip to the beach. In Georgia that means driving up to one of the lakes to enjoy the sand and sun. It was a family excursion of sorts, which meant adults and kids would have to be appeased.
Because it was super last minute, I didn't have the time to make my fried chicken, but I did make that mac and cheese of mine as well as some corn that was so damn good the kids and adults were more than satisfied.
Here's what you'll need to please your small crowd:
- 4-6 ears of shucked, bicolored, sweet corn; halved
- salt to taste
- ½ tbsp freshly cracked black peppercorns
- 1 c. shredded cotija cheese (it's everywhere folks, Publix, Fresh Market, etc)
- 1 c. grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp. mayo
- 1 lime, cut into 6-8 wedges
- Mix cheese and cracked pepper in shallow dish, set aside
- Heat cast iron skillet over high heat (turn on your fan!)
- Coat each corn half in vegetable oil (add more if necessary)
- Using tongs, add corn halves to skillet and salt each one generously
- Turn each cob every 2-3 minutes, longer if necessary (total 8-10 minutes). Charred sections are glorious.
- Remove from heat and quickly coat each cob in mayo and roll in cheese pepper mixture.
- Plate and garnish with limes, squeezing some over your still warm corn sprinkle with paprika.
Vegan option? Sure! Cook at normal omitting cheeses and mayo or use vegan substitutes (the vegan butter was a hit) or bypass diary altogether and season with smokey cayenne and drizzle with lime, VERY good!
ENJOY!! TRUST ME.